The 724th Special Tactics Group provides training and technical assistance in the development of tactics, techniques, and procedures to ensure standardization across the AFSOC Special Tactics community.
Our enlisted operators bring calm to the chaos inside a complex joint environment. Experts in both SOF warfare and their primary specialty skills, our operators are addressing the ever-changing character of warfare and provide ground force commanders solutions to the most complex air-to ground problems.
Assignment Incentive Pay
- Our enlisted operators receive an additional $750 a month for the first year after graduating our Operator Training Course (OTC)
- They will receive $1000 a month starting at the one-year mark post-OTC
Minimum enlisted requirement facts:
- Extensive experience is not a requirement. We are simply looking for talented operators who have a desire to make a significant impact.
- For CCT, you do not have to be a qualified JTAC to apply
- For PJ, you do not have to be a 5-level to apply
- Any rank can apply
- MUST be able to obtain a Top-Secret Clearance
- Your unit leadership must be informed before you apply
Our ST Officers are trained to be highly diverse leaders across a full-spectrum of mission-sets. Our officers have a unique opportunity to lead in ways that are not available at any other Air Force ground SOF unit.
Our officers are trained to lead across all ST mission-sets.
- Work alongside and are supported by the nation’s best SOF forces from across the DoD.
- Get to lead teams of hand-picked operators who are the best at what they do
Minimum Officer requirement facts:
Our support personnel are the foundational underpinning of the 724 STG's unyielding success. From teaching operators how to conduct unique free-fall tactics, developing cutting-edge technology to enable success on the battlefield, or providing unparalleled medical care to our unit members, our support team has a long and storied history of success. This is why we feel they are the best support force in the Air Force, and arguably in the entire DoD. Here is a short list of reasons why this is such a unique opportunity for anyone desiring to make significant impacts at the national level:
- Work within your primary AFSC to solve the nations most challenging tactical problems.
- Work alongside the nation's most elite Special Operations Forces.
- Can only advertise in person, not advertised on AMS/Equal Plus
- Work to help solve some of the nation's toughest national security problems.
- 4-year controlled tours with option to extend for additional years
- Provides stability for you and your family
- Special Duty Pay, Civilian Clothing Allowance, Advanced Training
- There are times that you will operate outside of your AFSC
- Many of our CST folks enjoy the unique opportunities to do things they would never get to do anywhere else
- Minimum rank of Senior Airman or 1st Lt
- 2.5 years Time on Station
- No current UIFs (no single act is a disqualifier)
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret Clearance
The 724 STG is:
A highly adaptive and innovative special operations organization
- Aligned with the Department of Defense's highest priorities
- 100% of our operators get to employ their skills and make an impact
- Our support personnel are instrumental in the unit's unyielding success
- You will work alongside and are supported by the nation’s best SOF forces from across the DoD.
Based out of Pope Field, North Carolina, Home of Special Operations
- The 724 STG's new campus is approximately 50% complete and the last phase breaks ground next year.
- A majority of our unit members and their families live in towns surrounding the Ft. Bragg/Pope Field area. Raeford, Sanford, Southern Pines, Pinehurst, Aberdeen, Cameron, Apex, and Holly Springs to name a few. These locales offer many good schools and tons of activities for all ages.
A fast-paced unit with opportunities found nowhere else in Department of Defense.
- Every day will bring new and exciting challenges for you to tackle.
- All operators have the opportunity to employ their skills and make a significant impact at the highest levels.
- Our support folks get to do things they would rarely ever get to do anywhere else
- Though fast-paced, we are also extremely family focused and offer unparalleled resources to help ensure your family is both healthy and resilient.
All operators seeking to apply for Selection should follow this process. If you are applying for a staff position, follow the process located under the support flyout.
Application process completed in several phases:
- Inform your leadership that you intend to apply for the 724 STG.
- Fill out the current version of the operator application (located on the right margin of the home screen).
- Send your 3 leadership evals to your TL, Unit SEA, Unit CC.
- Send your application to us for review (follow instructions in application).
- We will review application for completeness and place it in the Phase I board queue.
- The Phase I board will select those deemed suitable to attend the next phase (Phase II) here at Pope Field, NC.
- All applicants will be sent the results of the board; those selected to continue will be sent their reporting instructions for the TDY portion.
- You will have 30+ days after the board results to prepare for the next phase of selection.
Phase II (Start of TDY portion)
- We will issue you a DTS fund cite for your travel.
- You will follow the reporting instructions and meet at the appropriate time and place.
- Phase II, III, and IV lasts a combined 10 days.
- These phases will be mentally and physically challenging and the more you prepare, the more effective your performance will be.
- At the end of the process, each candidate will be given the Commander's decision on their selection to the 724 STG.
- Regardless if selected or not, each candidate will be given detailed feedback outlining the strengths and weaknesses witnessed by the selection staff during the process.
POCs for operator selection information:
- Mr. Trey Free
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org DSN 257-6026
This process is for ALL support AFSCs, and for operator AFSCs that are NOT applying for the Operator Training Course
The application process is completed in two phases:
- Applicant completes application and send it to our support side recruiters
- We will review application for position compatibility
- We will send results of Phase I screening and invite those deemed compatible to Phase II (TDY to Pope Field, NC)
- You must pass the Standard Air Force PT test upon arrival
- You will undergo both psychological and security screenings testing for position compatibility and suitability
- SMEs from your AFSC will conduct work-center time with you (be prepared to be tested on your AFSC-specific knowledge)
- Last event is the Commander's Board
Phase II lasts 4 days
- You will receive the selection decision at the board
- All candidates receive feedback on their performance regardless of selection decision
POCs for all support positions and selection information:
- Mr. Mark Fortinberry and Mr. Rob Brault
- DSN 383-6825 and 383-2581
All AFSCs will be tested on the following material. It would behoove you to study these items ahead of time.
All AFSCs will be tested on both general SOF skills and their individual specialty skills. You are expected to be able to complete basic 3-level tasks to a high standard.
General SOF Skills:
This is a suggested plan to prepare you for our operator selection. This is a comprehensive HP plan developed by our experts. However, you should consult with your own HP specialists and adjust this plan as needed to meet any current realities you are facing.
724 Suggested Selection Workout Plan.pdf
The mental side of selection can be the major factor in the success or failure of a candidate. Preparing yourself mentally for the realities you will face during selection is extremely important and will bolster your chances for success. The following is a collection from our mental experts here in our unit. It is also advisable to use your organic POTFF staff to prep for the mental challenges as well.
Recommended Mental Prep
"The 724th STG’s Human Performance Program is a performance model built on readiness and sustainment of personnel capable of conducting full-spectrum SOF operations. Our program revolves around three priorities:
1. Increase combat effectiveness and ability to sustain operational readiness across a broad range of environments through human performance solutions.
2. Reduce manpower loss due to preventable injury and disease. This will be accomplished through focused and individualized assessment and performance and rehabilitative strategies.
3. Accelerate return to duty (RTD) with optimized recovery, rehabilitation and reconditioning.
The 724 Peer Network Coordinator is the unit's primary link for the Family Support Network and Key Spouse programs. A few of her roles and responsibilities are as follows:
PNC Contact Info:
POTFF Peer Network Coordinator
Click for Contact Info
If you have any issues downloading these links, right click on the link and click "save target as."
Dates for upcoming operator selection:
The 724 STG goes to great lengths to ensure the families have access to the resources that will keep them healthy, happy, and resilient. Click on the links below to find out more info about the local area and resources available.
Local Area Info
Visit NC Website