The 724th Special Tactics Group provides training and technical assistance in the development of tactics, techniques, and procedures to ensure standardization across the AFSOC Special Tactics community.
Our enlisted operators bring calm to the chaos inside a complex joint environment. Experts in both SOF warfare and their primary specialty skills, our operators are addressing the ever-changing character of warfare and provide ground force commanders solutions to the most complex air-to ground problems.
Assignment Incentive Pay
- Our enlisted operators receive an additional $750 a month after completing OTC and serving one year inside the organization.
- They will receive $1000 a month starting at the four-year mark post-OTC.
Minimum enlisted requirement facts:
- Extensive experience is not a requirement. We are simply looking for talented operators who have a desire to make a significant impact.
- For CCT, you do not have to be a qualified JTAC to apply
- For PJ, you do not have to be a 5-level to apply
- Any rank can apply
- MUST be able to obtain a Top-Secret Clearance
- Your unit leadership must be informed before you apply
Our ST Officers are trained to be highly diverse leaders across a full-spectrum of mission-sets. Our officers have a unique opportunity to lead in ways that are not available at any other Air Force ground SOF unit.
Our officers are trained to lead across all ST mission-sets.
- Work alongside and are supported by the nation’s best SOF forces from across the DoD.
- Get to lead teams of hand-picked operators who are the best at what they do
Minimum Officer requirement facts:
Our support personnel are the foundational underpinning of the 724 STG's unyielding success. From teaching operators how to conduct unique free-fall tactics, developing cutting-edge technology to enable success on the battlefield, or providing unparalleled medical care to our unit members, our support team has a long and storied history of success. This is why we feel they are the best support force in the Air Force, and arguably in the entire DoD. Here is a short list of reasons why this is such a unique opportunity for anyone desiring to make significant impacts at the national level:
- Work within your primary AFSC to solve the nations most challenging tactical problems.
- Work alongside the nation's most elite Special Operations Forces.
- Can only advertise in person, not advertised on AMS/Equal Plus
- Work to help solve some of the nation's toughest national security problems.
- 4-year controlled tours with option to extend for additional years
- Provides stability for you and your family
- Special Duty Pay, Civilian Clothing Allowance, Advanced Training
- There are times that you will operate outside of your AFSC
- Many of our CST folks enjoy the unique opportunities to do things they would never get to do anywhere else
- Minimum rank of Senior Airman or 1st Lt
- 2.5 years Time on Station
- No current UIFs (no single act is a disqualifier)
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret Clearance
The 724 STG is:
A highly adaptive and innovative special operations organization
- Aligned with the Department of Defense's highest priorities
- 100% of our operators get to employ their skills and make an impact
- Our support personnel are instrumental in the unit's unyielding success
- You will work alongside and are supported by the nation’s best SOF forces from across the DoD.
Based out of Pope Field, North Carolina, Home of Special Operations
- The 724 STG's new campus is approximately 75% complete and is well on its way to being a state of the art facility.
- A majority of our unit members and their families live in towns surrounding the Ft. Bragg/Pope Field area. Raeford, Sanford, Southern Pines, Pinehurst, Aberdeen, Cameron, Apex, and Holly Springs to name a few. These locales offer many good schools and tons of activities for all ages.
A fast-paced unit with opportunities found nowhere else in Department of Defense.
- Every day will bring new and exciting challenges for you to tackle.
- All operators have the opportunity to employ their skills and make a significant impact at the highest levels.
- Our support folks get to do things they would rarely ever get to do anywhere else
- Though fast-paced, we are also extremely family focused and offer unparalleled resources to help ensure your family is both healthy and resilient.
Here is the list of our attributes and a list of suggested reading to help you bolster each attribute if so desired. The reading list are just suggestions and we realize there are tons of great books out there than can be of assistance.
Our Attributes and Expectations (click to view)
Good for Operators and Support Candidates
The mental side of A&S can be the major factor in the success or failure of a candidate. Preparing yourself mentally for the realities you will face during selection is extremely important and will bolster your chances for success. The following is multi-page document provided by our Sports Psychologist to help you prepare mentally for our A&S process. It is also advisable to use your organic POTFF staff to prep for the mental challenges as well.
Mental Preparation Tips for Our A&S Process
All AFSCs are responsible to have a basic understanding of troop leading procedures and small
unit tactics. The “Ranger Handbook (2017)” and the Army’s “ATP 3-21.8 Infantry Platoon and
Squad (2016)” are great resources to study and prepare for selection..
A. TC 3-21.76 Ranger Handbook (2017)
B. ATP 3-21.8 Infantry Platoon and Squad (2016)
All AFSCs may be tested on both general SOF skills and their individual specialty skills. You are expected to be able to complete basic 3-level tasks to a high standard.
General SOF Skills:
Updated May 1, 2020: This is a suggested plan to prepare you for our operator selection. This is a comprehensive physical preparation plan developed by our experts. However, you should consult with your own HP specialists and adjust this plan as needed to meet any current realities you are facing.
724 Suggested Workout Plan
OPERATORS ONLY, but good knowledge for everyone.
This nutrition information was developed to assist you in your preparation for our selection process. The information inside this document was created by our Human Performance Dietitian.
Nutrition Information for Selection Preparation
The Insight Thru Experience Podcast is meant to provide some useful info for those thinking about coming to the 724 STG, or those already preparing for an upcoming selection. These are interviews with operators, leaders, and specialists who want to share their experiences for those coming up behind them. Click on your favorite medium below to proceed to the podcast:
"The 724th STG’s Human Performance Program is a performance model built on readiness and sustainment of personnel capable of conducting full-spectrum SOF operations. Our program revolves around three priorities:
1. Increase combat effectiveness and ability to sustain operational readiness across a broad range of environments through human performance solutions.
2. Reduce manpower loss due to preventable injury and disease. This will be accomplished through focused and individualized assessment and performance and rehabilitative strategies.
3. Accelerate return to duty (RTD) with optimized recovery, rehabilitation and reconditioning.
The end state is to BUILD, SUPPORT, OPTIMIZE and SUSTAIN high functioning operators coming into the unit, performing in the unit and transitioning out of the unit."
The 724 Peer Network Coordinator is the unit's primary link for the Family Support Network and Key Spouse programs. A few of her roles and responsibilities are as follows:
We are currently hiring the following positions inside our Human Performance Optimization staff. This is an incredible way to support a very unique unit that does special things for the nation. Please contact our support recruiters for more information.
Clinical Psychologist (724 STG, Pope Field, NC)
Clinical Psychologist (17 STS, Ft. Benning, GA)
License Clinical Social Worker
The 724 STG goes to great lengths to ensure the families have access to the resources that will keep them healthy, happy, and resilient. Click on the links below to find out more info about the local area and resources available.
Local Area Info
Visit NC Website
Note - The 724 STG is a unit that can only hire experienced Active Duty, Guard, and Reserve Air Force members.
If you are looking for information on how to become an Air Force Special Warfare Operator visit https://www.airforce.com/careers/in-demand-careers/special-warfare
If you are seeking information about joining the US Air Force, visit https://www.airforce.com/.
Click for Contact Info
How to Open Your Downloaded Application (click the link)
Click here to download a Support Application
1. Click to download the operator application.
2. Click to download the leadership eval.
Link to Adobe.com to download Adobe Reader DC
All operators, to include the 17 STS, will now go through the same assessment and selection process. This is a recent change and will require you to let us know which of our four operational units you prefer to join if selected. You will be briefed on these units on Day 1 of selection and be provided some time to decide the unit(s) you desire to join if selected.
Please note: there is no guarantee that you will get your unit of preference, but we will make every effort to match your desires with reality. If it isn't possible, we will describe what other opportunities exist at the other operational units and give you some time to make your final decision.
UPDATED current as of 1 Nov 2021
Our support hiring process is a multi-day process and is conducted on-site here in the Southern Pines, North Carolina area. If you are interested in helping us solve complex problems for the nation, contact our support recruiters today.
Dates for upcoming 2021/22 support assessments:
Jan 25-28, 2022
Feb 22-25, 2022
Mar 22-25, 2022
Apr 19-22, 2022
May 23-26, 2022
Jun 21-24, 2022
All operators seeking to apply for Selection should follow this process. If you are applying for a staff position, follow the process located under the support flyout.
Application process completed in several phases:
- Inform your leadership that you intend to apply for the 724 STG.
- Click on the link to start your online application (located on the right margin of the home screen just above this one).
- Email the leadership eval to your CC, SEA, and TL.
- Follow the instructions in the application and ensure you attach the required documents.
- Once you submit your application, we will review it for completeness and place it in the Phase I board queue.
- The Phase I board will take place approx 1-month prior to Phase II (the TDY portion). Those chosen to attend the next phase will receive reporting instructions for the TDY portion. Those not chosen will receive an email stating the reasons why.
- You will have 30+ days after the board results to prepare for the next phase of selection.
Phase II (Start of TDY portion)
- We will issue you a DTS fund cite for your travel.
- You will follow the reporting instructions and meet at the appropriate time and place.
- On Day 1, you will be briefed on the four different operator positions that are available to you if selected. You will provide us a ranked order of your preferred jobs. If we decide to hire you, will will make every effort to match you with your choice.
- Phase II, III, and IV lasts a combined 8 days.
- These phases will be mentally and physically challenging and the more you prepare, the more effective your performance will be.
- At the end of the process, each candidate will be given the Commander's decision on their selection to the 724 STG.
- Regardless if selected or not, each candidate will be given detailed feedback outlining the strengths and weaknesses witnessed by the selection staff during the process.
POCs for operator selection information:
This process is for ALL support AFSCs, and for operator AFSCs that are NOT applying for the Operator Training Course
The application process is completed in two phases:
- Applicant completes the PDF application and submits
- You will send your Commander the eval located in the application and they will fill it our and email direct to us.
- We will review your application and Commander's evaluation for position compatibility
- We will send results of Phase I screening and invite those deemed compatible to Phase II (TDY to Pope Field, NC)
- You will undergo both psychological and security screenings testing for position compatibility and suitability
- SMEs from your AFSC will conduct work-center time with you (be prepared to be tested on your AFSC-specific knowledge)
- Last event is the Commander's Board
Phase II lasts 4 days
- You will receive the selection decision at the board
- All candidates receive feedback on their performance regardless of selection decision
POCs for all support positions and selection information: